Text: The Reason Why Faith Makes Sense by Mark Mittelberg, Tyndale House, Carol Stream IL, 2011. ISBN 978-1-4143-1581-2
After viewing the video A Short Course in Apologetics 5, please read Chapter 5 of the text, Who Was Jesus and What Was His Purpose? and give short answers to the following questions:
- In the author’s phrase, what was Jesus basic claim about himself as God’s Son? (p. 61)
- What is Jesus’s other name for himself that skeptics often cite, from where is it drawn and what is its significance?
- What is the first alternative to Jesus being who he claimed to be?
- What is the second?
- What is the third?
- What refutations do you find most convincing, if any?
- Did Jesus explain his mission in the words of the New Testament? Where?
- Philippians 2:6-11 presents some of the highest Christology in the NT. In short, what does it tell us about Jesus’s origins and the purpose and end result of his suffering?