Text: The Reason Why Faith Makes Sense by Mark Mittelberg, Tyndale House, Carol Stream IL, 2011. ISBN 978-1-4143-1581-2
After viewing the video A Short Course in Apologetics 2, please read Chapter 2 of the text, Is There a God? and give short answers to the following questions:
- What bias does the author contend is at the heart of so much recent “skeptical literature and opinion?” (p. 8)
- What is the field of exploration that is used to support such a bias?
- What is the philosophical term (two words) that Einstein cited to support the idea of the universe as having a beginning?
- What are the five independent lines of evidence that Jastrow cites to support the idea of the sudden creation of the universe?
- What religious term does the author use to describe such an event? (p. 15)
- What is the second argument the author cites to support the idea of God as Creator?
- What stunning phrase does physicist Paul Davies use when describing the way the universe appears to be unusually welcoming to the presence of life? (p. 19)
- Which of the four forces in nature does the author discuss as an example of the apparent careful ordering of the universe, through its fixed “laws and constants?”
- If Einstein saw an intelligence behind the ordering of the physical world, what world did former atheist Dr. Antony Flew contend also possessed such a Designer’s touch?
- What are the four additional lines of evidence the author cites beginning on page 24 that point to a Creator God?
- What is the reason the author cites on page 28 that many people refuse to acknowledge God?